History of ACI

Before the establishment of ACI in January 1991, the world's airports were represented on the international scene by the Airport Associations Coordinating Council (AACC), which had in turn been created in 1970 by the three then-existing international airport associations:

  • Airport Operators Council International (AOCI)
  • International Civil Airports Association (ICAA)
  • Western European Airports Association (WEAA)

Before 1970, the three associations had collaborated on an informal ad hoc basis and had presented the interests of their memberships to other international organizations separately.

With the passage of time, however, the growing importance of the external factors on airport operation created the need for a formal relationship with governments, airlines, manufacturers and other parties concerned.

This led to the establishment of AACC, with a view to formulating unified airport industry policies, furthering collaboration between its constituent associations, and representing them collectively with worldwide aviation organizations and other relevant bodies.

After WEAA was dissolved in 1985, AACC became a bipartite body. The decision to create ACI, which incorporated AOCI and ICAA and succeeded AACC, was taken in 1989. The Constitution of ACI was approved by AOCI and ICAA memberships in the autumn of 1990 and came into effect on 1 January 1991.

For more information on ACI's history, please download the ACI Celebrating 20 Years: 1991-2011

Chronology of the History of ACI

1948

Establishment of the Airports Operators Council (later Airport Operators Council International AOCI), based in Washington D.C.

1950
 
Establishment of the Western European Airports Association WEAA, based in Zurich.

1962
 
Establishment of the International Civil Airports Association ICAA, based in Paris

1970
 
Establishment of the Airports Associations Coordinating Council AACC, based in Geneva, to represent collectively AOCI, ICAA and WEAA with ICAO, IATA and other worldwide aviation organizations.

1971
 
ICAO grants AACC observer status

1974
 
United Economic and Social Council (UN/ECOSOC) grants AACC consultative status.

1985
 
Dissolution of WEAA. Member airports join ICAA and/ or AOCI.

1991

Establishment of the Airports Council International ACI, integrating AOCI and ICAA and succeeding AACC. Structured in six geographical regions: Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America/Caribbean, North America, and the Pacific, ACI establishes its headquarters in Geneva and regional offices in Cairo, New Delhi, Brussels, Caracas, Washington D.C., and Vancouver.

1991
 
Establishment of ACI World Standing Committees. Regional Committees on same subjects and others also set up.

1993
 
Establishment of the ACI Fund for Developing Nations' Airports, based in Geneva.

1994
 
Establishment of the ACI World Business Partners program.

1994
 
Opening of the ACI Liaison Office with ICAO in Montreal.

2004
 
Relocation of ACI-LAC and ACI-Pacific Regional offices from Caracas to Merida, Mexico, and from Vancouver to Hong Kong, respectively.

2006
 
Relocation of ACI-Africa Regional Office to Casablanca.

2009

Relocation of ACI-LAC regional Office to Brasil.

2010
 
Relocation of ACI-LAC regional office to Quito, Ecuador.

2010-2011
Relocation of ACI World Headquarters to Montreal.

2012
Relocation of the ACI-LAC regional office to Panama City, Panama.